“When the storms of life come, if they come to me personally, to my family, or to the world, I want to be strong enough to stand and be a strength to somebody else, be shelter for somebody else.”
–Anne Graham Lotz
Self-care in these turbulent times are essential, not just for ourselves, but also for our loved-ones, our neighbors, our fellow human beings sharing this beautiful planet we call Earth.
I have had many moments over the last three weeks where thoughts, fears, and feelings have overcome me. I know I am not alone in this. If you are feeling overwhelmed by emotions, reach out and talk to someone, write it out, dance it out, get some sunshine, pet your beloved dog or cat, do yoga, do any positive activity that helps to balance/level out the intensity of the energy you are feeling.
Some of my self-care go to’s are:
- Limiting my daily news exposure to once, maybe twice, a day–like a status check-in.
- Keeping a daily routine of showering and dressing like I would if it were a normal day (e.g., no pajamas, wearing my AppleWatch–the activity tracker is a great motivator, putting on mascara–yep!).
- Making a healthy, yummy smoothie every morning.
- Getting out for a walk, or a bicycle ride, in the neighborhood every single day.
- Meditation. Every morning, first thing when I wake up.
- https://insighttimer.com This app is FREE, and packed with wonderful guided meditations.
- https://breathetogetheronline.com My favorite yoga studio’s online offerings that cover yoga, food, health, mindfulness, and much, much more.
- https://www.youtube.com/user/BreatheLosGatos The YouTube channel of my favorite yoga studio.
- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyrTbb9vwHS6cETGQQwmUWw Lorien offers yoga in support of those who have cancer and their caregivers.
And finally, I have been slowly (and quietly) creating a Vimeo video channel for a while now. There you will find my past videos, and new ones. Some are guided meditations that are useful for reducing stress (Yoga Nidra, Leaf Meditation, and 4-7-8 Breath). The newest videos are active sequences designed to get the body open and moving. Find the videos here: Claudia on Vimeo
Stay well my friends. Stay well.
You must be logged in to post a comment.